[opendtv] Re: EE Times: Transcoding offers migration path to IP

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Mar 2013 12:33:24 -0400

At 8:15 PM +0000 3/15/13, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

 This is a major reason why access to "the good stuff" requires
 you to prove you have an MVPD subscription.

Only if by "good stuff," you mean sports. Which to me holds no value, except the Olympics.

The originators of low-value content thank you, Craig, for subsidizing the distribution of their content.

Value is in the eye of the beholder.

You place higher value on the scripted series produced by the big networks, but you are not willing to pay a bit more for award winning scripted series' that require a subscription (e.g. HBO and Showtime). I could care less about 99% of what the networks produce, and I also have rarely supported HBO or Showtime.

I place higher value on live sports and news services (other than the broadcast network news) and a range of cable networks that appeal to my interests. You supplement what you can get FOTA with news and niche programming you can access via the Internet.