[opendtv] Re: Due Date for Responses to the ,DTV-to-NTSC Converter Box RFQ Extended to July 29

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jul 2005 22:14:05 -0400

At 11:58 AM -0400 7/20/05, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
>I had to chuckle about that Brazil indecision. When I
>mentioned it many years ago, I was informed by the usual
>experts that only idiots didn't know that Brazil had
>already made its (non-ATSC) choice. Hmmm. Where are these
>experts now?

I had to chuckle when Brazil  suggested that they were a candidate
for a digital broadcast system that could deliver HDTV to their
masses.

I'm sure you can sell a bunch of HD displays, maybe even a few
receivers in Rio, but the masses are not exactly ready for the HDTV
viewing experience...

Where is the pragmatism in these discussions. Even here in the
opulent U.S. HDTV is still a niche market...