[opendtv] Re: Due Date for Responses to the ,DTV-to-NTSC Converter Box RFQ Extended to July 29

  • From: "John Willkie" <JohnWillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 09:17:37 -0700

"Significant concern?"  You sound like you don't live in the Third World.

Since I do actually live in the Third World, in an ATSC country, I find
little to no concern about this.  Why?  Because Mexico, like Canada, has
taken a middle course to DTV transition: pushing it along, but don't set a
deadline.

Without the deadline -- and Brazil has yet to START the transition -- the
only concern about the cost of HDTV sets is the cost of getting one now.
That's not a widespread concern, let alone a significant one, since there
are no HDTV signals to parse.

And, it's funny that you go to HDTV.  Since when is HDTV mandatory?  I see
nothing in the ATSC specs or any of the ATSC implementations that mandates
HDTV.

Do you think that $250 (present cost, in US dollars) for a DTV to analog STB
will be so high in a few years that all but the poorest Brazilians will not
be able to afford it?  And, won't analog be around for a long time in
Brazil?  Do you think that the broadcasters in Brazil are less powerful than
those in the U.S?  Do you think that Brazillian broadcasters will not defend
the NTSC-M franchise?

Note the NTSC-M: Brazil has a history of going it's own way.