[opendtv] Re: Doug is Missing the Point

  • From: Doug McDonald <mcdonald@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Feb 2006 15:23:51 -0600

Stephen W. Long wrote:
> Doug is still missing the point.  With COFDM you can implement Single
> Frequency Networks, using much lower power transmitters in locations much
> closer to the actual consumers/viewers.

I am aware of that. Yes, it will work.

  8VSB requires big stick mentality,
> since it does not do SFN (as part of its primary business activities).  I
> would assert that a COFDM system would provide HIGHER signal to noise than
> 8VSB because the transmitters could be located where the people are.

Yes, that's true. The key word is "could". But WILL THEY BE? Or
will they only be located in big cities? ATSC provides a
cheaper way of serving large areas.

> Also, I have yet to hear any meaningful conversation about the wasted
> bandwidth (wasted channels) required by 8VSB to support translators in
> remote areas (following the current analog model of a big stick with remote
> translators on separate frequencies).

ATSC can use on-channel repeaters just like COFDM. It just requires that
5th generation or better receiver be used, or else better
isolation.

Where repeaters are common, out west, they will still work very easily.

The question is ... where is the willingness to implement big
expensive SFNs on a nationwide basis? We are talking FREE OTA
TV here, not pay tv.

THAT is the question you have to answer.

Doug McDonald