[opendtv] Re: Digital TV: Brazil to Adopt Anything But the American System

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Feb 2006 15:59:38 -0500

Last Sunday I was invited by my next door neighbor to watch the Super Bowl
on his Panasonic rear projection HDTV.  He subscribed to Dish HD and
local-into-local.  The entire system was set up by a Dish subcontractor,
including the two dishes required to receive all of the various services he
subscribed to.

We watched the entire Super Bowl in 4:3 SD pillar box because my neighbor
did not have an off air antenna, and didn't understand that Dish
local-into-local for our market was 4:3 SD only.

The local ABC affiliate (my former employer) still enjoyed the added
eyeballs of my neighbor and his invited guests added to their Nielson
rating, but we didn't enjoy the HD that the local affiliate was providing
because of consumer confusion.  After explaining the need for an off air
antenna in order to receive network HD in our market, my neighbor said it
wasn't worth the hassle because most of the HD he watched was sports and
movies, which were off of the dish anyway.Where is Broadcasting's advantage
there?

I would wager that 9 out of 10 HDTV sets in the US of A are tethered to
either a DBS or Cable system.  The advantage that a broadcaster has over DBS
or Cable is the ability to reach receivers without the need for a tether to
the wall.  ATSC is simply another tether to the wall, leading to the rooftop
antenna instead of a satellite dish or cable head end, but still a tether.

Imagine how successful FM radio would be if you could only receive it with a
fixed rooftop antenna.

John