[opendtv] Distribution outside of "the bundle"

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 5 Dec 2014 02:08:29 +0000

One of the reasons for this long thread was, Craig, your (stubborn) insistence
that content owners would "never" make their content available outside of "the
bundle," with the exceptions of DVD sets later on, or other middlemen like
Netflix which carry only last season, or other techniques which involve
considerable delay (even up to a year or more).

So, there is no bait and switch going on here. What I was responding to is your
listing of only those long-delay techniques, such as iTunes pay-per-episode of
last season, as options for watching (in this case) The Walking Dead. Even
after I showed you otherwise. Which you did here:

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> It costs $2.99 for the HD version, $1.99 for the SD version.

> There were multiple paid options "outside the bundle"
> including iTunes, Amazon Prime, a Google Play, and the AMC
> website.

In fact, the AMC website requires you to enter your MVPD credentials. A bad
example. And most of the other options are only for Season 4, not the current
season.

But, since you are the one who mentioned The Walking Dead as an example of
"exclusive" bundle content, I showed you how you can watch each current season
episode, VOD, some minor amount of time after it aired in linear mode, from
Amazon, independent of any "the bundle" as of any subsidizing of sports. NOT on
a pay-per-episode long after the fact, but rather right along with the linear
delivery. Very much like I watch prime time shows now.

I don't doubt that some sports events will continue to air only in your "the
bundle," but:

**I very much doubt that the owners of POPULAR content, which previously may
only have been available in "the bundle," will stick to that distribution
model, when they see cord shavers and cord cutters, and when the Internet
exists for them to use.**

Once again, that contention of mine, IMO, is totally logical. So when you
continually disagreed, "the bundle" is sacred and nothing can disturb it, I
ferretted out any number of articles that made that same point. And even your
most recent example of The Walking Dead should show you the winds of change.

As to embedded ads? That's a non-problem, IMO, and it would seem astonishing to
me if the Madison Ave types don't already know this.

The difference we are seeing is that content previously exclusively inside the
old garden walls is now offered outside, episode after episode, with some
insignificant amount of delay only. VOD per se is NOT the difference. VOD was
also available behind the garden walls, previously.