[opendtv] Re: Distribution outside of "the bundle"

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 07:46:07 -0500

On Dec 7, 2014, at 8:28 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Craig Birkmaier wrote:
>
>> Doesn't matter. If you want to watch the premiere you must watch it
>> live on AMC.
>
>> It IS being made available after the season ends on Netflix and
>> Amazon.
>
> Read my lips, Craig. You can watch the current season of The Walking Dead
> VOD, episode by episode, on Amazon, right after it has aired.

Correct. You can pay by the episode or for the entire season.

>> An expensive season pass. It is $41.99 for the current season
>> (5).
>
> And $26.99 for the SD version. Expensive? Perhaps, but it still is a sea
> change. And let's be clear on what the season pass is (which I already posted
> and you evidently forgot):

This is not a sea change. Apple has been doing this since 2005. Prior to this
you could buy entire seasons on VHS or DVD, although not until the season was
over.

> http://www.tomsguide.com/us/where-watch-walking-dead-online,news-17723.html
>
> "You can also be buy a Season 5 'Season Pass' for $27, which will
> automatically add new episodes after they air on TV."

Yes Bert. We've been over this several times.

> Now Craig, look back at the first quote from you, above. Is it only being
> made available after the season ends? How many times do we have to go over
> this?

You are taking my statement out of context. For SVOD services like Netflix and
Amazon Prime, access to the most recent season are delayed until AFTER the
season is over, and in some cases like shows from HBO they are delayed several
years.

http://www.cnet.com/news/amazon-prime-subscribers-can-now-watch-hbo-shows/
> As of Wednesday, Prime members in the US can now catch a full lineup of HBO
> shows, films, miniseries, documentaries, and specials at no extra cost.
> Amazon has even cooked up a special page called the HBO Collection through
> which Prime subscribers can stream their favorite HBO selections.
>
> And just what can you watch?
>
> On tap are all seasons of such popular past HBO series as "The Sopranos," "
> Six Feet Under," "The Wire," "Deadwood," and "Rome." Also available are
> select seasons of current HBO shows such as "True Blood," "Boardwalk Empire,"
> and "Treme."

So please stop trying to twist my words. The FACT is that there are many ways
to access many shows after they have premiered, with different amounts of
delay, and typically higher cost for shorter delays. The main exception is TV
Everywhere, which typically offers next day access to extended basic
subscribers, at NO ADDITIONAL CHARGE, with authentication.

>> I agree that many people are moving to VOD delay as their "normal"
>> viewing method.
>
> Here's a logic exercise. If the VOD option is made available 3 hours after
> the show aired originally, do you consider that "delayed"?

Absolutely!

> Now change that to 1 hour after the show aired originally.

> Is that still "delayed"?

Same answer.

> If the VOD is made available at exactly the same time as the show airs live,
> do you still consider that VOD?

In a sense yes, as with VOD you can pause, rewind, etc.

> In other words, how would a "VOD" viewing of a show differ from the live
> viewing, if you start the "VOD" at exactly the same instant as it begins
> being aired live?

See above.

> Like I said, the term VOD implies that you are watching the show when you
> want to, not by appointment. Some amount of delay is intrinsic to the
> concept. Although, it is true, the pilot of many shows is provided, VOD, a
> couple of weeks BEFORE the air date.

True. This is called PROMOTION.

>> Business models will always be valid.
>
> No, Craig. Many businesses, actually most new ventures, FAIL, because their
> business models were not valid. They guessed poorly about the demand for
> their product or service. Many, or eventually all, businesses models become
> invalid, and the business eventually fails, as technology changes. For
> example, ocean liners became unprofitable after the airline industry took
> over long distance travel. That entire business reinvented itself as a
> pleasure cruise business, building more fuel efficient, slower, and more
> luxurious ships.

There's are still business models, whether they are successful or not. And yes,
evolving technologies allow for the creation of new business models, which in
many cases disrupt dieting business models. For Example, remember Blockbuster
video rental stores?

> So, the MVPD bundle model fits this same description. In the Internet era, it
> suddenly seems long in the tooth. You can see that AMC is way past where you
> seem to be, Craig. They, along with others we already mentioned, get that the
> tides change.

The bundle is controlled by oligopolies Bert who are NOT giving up on it. In
fact they continue to raise prices, and add new benefits like TV Everywhere yo
enhance the perceived value of the bundle.

Did you read the CTAM article I posted?

Quoting:

> Recent HUB Research showed that 61% of millennials reported that access to
> TVE services made them feel more positive about the TV provider and 56% said
> the same about the network they’re watching.

> “TVE users ascribe greater value to their cable packages, with millennials,
> the most-at-risk group, having the most positive reaction to TVE,” said
> Lansing.

And the CEO of AMC is committed to the bundle as he stated recently in an
article I posted.

The bundle and "other" paid methods of distribution are NOT mutually exclusive
Bert. They are features of business models that leverage the Time/value of
content so as to maximize revenues from licensed redistribution.