[opendtv] Re: Distribution outside of "the bundle"

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 8 Dec 2014 01:28:21 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Doesn't matter. If you want to watch the premiere you must watch it
> live on AMC.

> It IS being made available after the season ends on Netflix and
> Amazon.

Read my lips, Craig. You can watch the current season of The Walking Dead VOD,
episode by episode, on Amazon, right after it has aired.

> It just takes 3-4 tries to get you to understand something.

You must be joking. As in the example above, and many, many others, it takes
months and sometimes YEARS to get a point across to you Craig. Then most of the
time, you quickly forget and revert back to your previous mantra.

> An expensive season pass. It is $41.99 for the current season
> (5).

And $26.99 for the SD version. Expensive? Perhaps, but it still is a sea
change. And let's be clear on what the season pass is (which I already posted
and you evidently forgot):

http://www.tomsguide.com/us/where-watch-walking-dead-online,news-17723.html

"You can also be buy a Season 5 'Season Pass' for $27, which will automatically
add new episodes after they air on TV."

Now Craig, look back at the first quote from you, above. Is it only being made
available after the season ends? How many times do we have to go over this?

> I agree that many people are moving to VOD delay as their "normal"
> viewing method.

Here's a logic exercise. If the VOD option is made available 3 hours after the
show aired originally, do you consider that "delayed"? Now change that to 1
hour after the show aired originally. Is that still "delayed"? If the VOD is
made available at exactly the same time as the show airs live, do you still
consider that VOD? In other words, how would a "VOD" viewing of a show differ
from the live viewing, if you start the "VOD" at exactly the same instant as it
begins being aired live?

Like I said, the term VOD implies that you are watching the show when you want
to, not by appointment. Some amount of delay is intrinsic to the concept.
Although, it is true, the pilot of many shows is provided, VOD, a couple of
weeks BEFORE the air date.

> Business models will always be valid.

No, Craig. Many businesses, actually most new ventures, FAIL, because their
business models were not valid. They guessed poorly about the demand for their
product or service. Many, or eventually all, businesses models become invalid,
and the business eventually fails, as technology changes. For example, ocean
liners became unprofitable after the airline industry took over long distance
travel. That entire business reinvented itself as a pleasure cruise business,
building more fuel efficient, slower, and more luxurious ships.

So, the MVPD bundle model fits this same description. In the Internet era, it
suddenly seems long in the tooth. You can see that AMC is way past where you
seem to be, Craig. They, along with others we already mentioned, get that the
tides change.