[opendtv] Re: Digital Trends: ESPN may pull its finger out of the Internet-TV dam, unleash a flood of change

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Feb 2014 01:14:14 +0000

Mark Schubin wrote:

>> First, Intel had no business trying, is my thinking. It smacked of conflict
>> of interest.

> Like RCA and NBC? Westinghouse and Westinghouse Broadcasting? Sony Electronics
> and Sony Pictures? Edison and Consolidated Edison?

Heh, yeah I had thought of some of those. Yes, all of these have the potential
for creating conflict of interest problems, even if they end up not doing so.
Amazon sells content and would not have an incentive to provide its content to
only its own appliances. Intel, instead, could potentially play more like
Apple's games.

Edison and Con Ed are a perfect example, turns out. Edison championed DC, his
appliances used DC, and therefore he had a special incentive to create a
distribution system that provided DC. For example, Edison developed the DC
power meter, so clearly had an incentive to distribute only DC power. If
instead Edison did not have a distribution network, then he would have an
incentive to invent AC or DC appliances, and the truly best distribution system
would win. Which ultimately did happen anyway, but it could have happened
sooner.

Edison spread all manner of half-truths to keep DC distribution alive. Conflict
of interest.