[opendtv] Re: Digital Trends: ESPN may pull its finger out of the Internet-TV dam, unleash a flood of change

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Feb 2014 20:51:58 -0500

> On Feb 7, 2014, at 7:47 PM, "Manfredi, Albert E"
> <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> We've been over this many times. In practical fact, a single intervening
> market is used, in congested parts of the country...

> There is no conspiracy to keep competition down, or at least, certainly not
> by the FCC!

Yes Bert, we understand how full and low power stations can coexist. This was
true way back in the '50s when TV broadcasting really got started. But the FCC
did not make this spectrum available for LPTV until 1982. The number of voices
was severely limited until the '80s; during those 30 years the three commercial
TV networks grew into a powerful force with tremendous political clout.