[opendtv] Re: Definition of Anamorphic

  • From: Kilroy Hughes <Kilroy.Hughes@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 9 Oct 2009 20:13:31 +0000

Yep, and specs weren't clear whether 720, 708, or 704 were the 4:3 width, and
whether that corresponded to 486, 483, or 480 lines.  Production Aperture,
Display Aperture weren't accurate enough to matter in an analog world where 3 -
5% of your picture was cropped off in the CRT and there was no hope of a D1
sample lining up with a hole in a shadow mask.

Now we have to encode in blocks of a fixed size and want the sample grid to
align with the pixel grid in the display exactly, whenever possible.  Scaling
704 to fill a 720w display, or 480 to 486 lines is unnecessarily ugly, but
common.  Most TV inputs will even scale up 1280x720 input a few percent just so
they can throw away the edges.

Insane ritual homage to the CRT.

Kilroy