[opendtv] Re: Definition of Anamorphic

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2009 15:47:20 -0400

Mark Schubin wrote:

BTW, I suspect the correct aspect ratio of "The Wizard of Oz," having been made after the Academy aperture was standardized, is 11:8 rather than 4:3.

I think this is a true statement. I also think this is the reason why
the MGM logo appears slightly horizontally compressed in the new BD version of the film.

I now think the BD edition shows the whole 1.37:1 frame [anamorphically compressed electronically by Blu-ray to 1.33:1] as evidenced here in two screen shots, one from the VHS MGM-CBS Home video edition of ?1984? and the same frame of film from this year's BD edition.

Note that the credits shown in the VHS frame are closer to the edges of the frame than those shown in the BD frame. This probably represents the difference between the VHS 1.33:1 frame and the BD 1.37:1 frame, compressed as it is overall to 1.33:1 on the disk.

This could explain why the MGM logo at the head of the film appears oval.

Cliff

JPEG image

JPEG image