[opendtv] Re: Continuing with WWVB

  • From: Cliff Benham <flyback1@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 May 2013 10:37:45 -0400

On 5/8/2013 10:07 AM, Craig Birkmaier wrote:

One might infer form this that Bert refuses to participate in any service that
involves a subscription or monthly service fees.

Seriously? You don't have a cell phone?

I don't. Why do people feel they have to be constantly connected, available, or online?
Just give me peace and quiet. Silence.
No music, no babbling TV or radio in the background and NO PHONE CALLS!
When I want to hear what's happening [that might be important,] I'll turn on the NOAA Weather Radio.

I've got an "atomic clock" in the den. There's also the clock in the Philips
PVR/DVD player in the den, that doesn't set itself (it used that analog PBS signal, when
it worked right). Then next door in the kitchen, a clock on the stove, one in the
microwave oven, and another one in the toaster oven.

Then there's the upstairs.

Wouldn't it be nice to have all these clocks set themselves, without that
network connection and data plan for each one? Why all those clocks? Because
these appliances have timed operating modes. That doesn't mean they all need to
be Internet of 4G connected!!

Why not? if you can somehow justify the cost of a radio in all of these clocks,
why not consider the benefits of going a step further and adding some networked
intelligence and control?

Overkill. Would you also drive your 427 hemi dune buggy through the aisles of the grocery store to do your shopping?

Cliff