[opendtv] Re: Compare and contrast to MSTV's 1999 position/testing

  • From: "John Shutt" <shuttj@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 21 May 2008 09:56:09 -0400

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tom Barry" <tom.r.barry@xxxxxxxxx>

Maybe Bert will be shown to be right and with modern receivers there will be negligible multipath problems. If so I will be pleasantly surprised.

I am very pleased with the multipath performance of the CECB (Coupon Eligible Converter Box) made by LG and marketed under the Zenith and Insignia brands. I am less impressed by the Magnavox offering.

Those are the only two CECBs that I have had experience with. Both were light-years ahead of my old Samsung SIR-T151. (or something close to that number.)

However, that still wouldn't give us the almost infinite ability to tradeoff robustness for payload that DVB-T offers, nor do either CECB have any ability for mobile reception. (I know, I've tried with the Zenith box.)

My worry however isn't with the performance of these CECBs, but with the performance of the many DTV receivers built into flat screen TVs that have been sold over the years. I go on an average of one trouble call a week for viewers who cannot receive our digital, and in most cases, when I plunk down the Zenith CECB the reception is just fine, but the tuner built into their 3 year old plasma doesn't work.

It should be a very interesting day on Feb 18, 2009.

John