[opendtv] Re: Community Broadcaster's Association wants converter boxes to handle analog, too!

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 09:33:02 -0800

John;

You really have to admire them 'trying' to use jujitsu against the FCC.  I
don't see a clear 'out' for the FCC on this (at least while analog fstv is
still operating), but it won't get into court before the end of the
transition, and even then I suspect the fact that LPTV/tv translator
stations aren't primary users of their channels will come into play.

I was talking last night with a broadcast engineer who now is working on the
sell-side.  He was of the belief -- not relating directly to this matter --
that the analog shutoff would be delayed by the FCC.

I said that I thought there would be some stations disappearing for a few
days or longer after the analog shut-off due to antenna issues.  I had to
remind him that under the legislation, the FCC had no ability to permit FSTV
analog transitions, and all the comments from congresscritters recently
(Senator Clinton excepted) were about how to help those perceived to be less
well-off.

One could even say -- in court -- that the CBA's contention is stale; they
could have participated in the earlier proceedings, and did not, and now
this train is a-moving.

John

From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>