[opendtv] Re: Community Broadcaster's Association wants converter boxes to handle analog, too!

  • From: "Bob Miller" <robmxa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 16:28:10 -0500

Your right, there will not be time. The January auction will not be
done till August when final payment by winning bidders will be due.
September to February will not be enough time to delay this thing.

Google looks to be in big time as of today. Other media companies as
well and a bit of inside stuff says that AT&T is going to be there as
well planning on "broadcasting". Remember that in 2000 when this
auction was supposed to take place the predictions were for a take of
$100 Billion. UK and Germany came in just before the US auction was
canceled at $35 and $45 Billion which prompted  the $100 Billion US
estimate. Now pundits are talking of $15 Billion sans 54, 55 and 59
but I would be surprised at anything less than $50 Billion.

Inflation since 2000 would make the UK's $35 Billion $44 Billion and
Germany's $45 Billion $55 Billion and a possible US $100 Billion $120
Billion. Subtract 54, 55 and 59 and the "NEW RULES" proposed by Google
for the "C" block and you still have $75 Billion. $50 Billion should
be conservative.

Why do I think they might delay the end of analog broadcasting again?
Because they can, have done so a number of times in the recent past,
three or four times including 2000 on this spectrum alone, and because
any number of things could happen that could give them an excuse.

For example someone on the "Hill" could read one of the many emails I
have sent to them all and realize that the whole transition is headed
for disaster and decide to stop it on a dime and revisit the whole
thing. That could happen right?

Bob Miller