[opendtv] Re: Commissioner Copps on Internet openness

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 07:20:45 -0500

Sorry, Craig, but that just doesn't sound credible to me. First of all, because the broadcasters you are talking about only accound for a small handful of cable channels. The combined "retrans consent" and "must carry" amount to a tiny percentage of 6 MHz channels available to cable networks. Not only that, but in the digital age, since the multicasts aren't mandatory, and since cable can use 256-QAM, the number of 6 MHz channels filled by these broadcasters is AT MOST half as much as before, if all of the multicasts are also carried, and potentially quite a bit less than that.

Credibility is not an issue here Bert. It is a factual analysis of what happened. Broadcasters started pushing for compensation from cable in the early '80s. They were successful in 1992 in getting the Cable Bill passed, which gave then retrans consent. All of the networks other than CBS used this first to launch new cable channels with preferred placement. ABC Family, FX, and others. Then they started buying up cable networks. The rest is history.

The other reason I find this blame to congloms non-credible is that people who raced after the cable truck, gesticulating wildly and with their eyes bugging out of their heads, were NEVER after the programs that covered "local topics," like PTA or Chamber of Commerce meetings. They were almost universally salivating for sports, for movie channels, perhaps for CNN and the like. In other words, what these street athletes craved was national programming. So that's what the MVPDs offered.

Give it a break Bert. Yes customers flocked to cable because that's where the good content and choice could be found.

Didn't Jesus Christ supposedly say that hypocrisy was the worst of sins? I do believe that this FCC is in the pockets of the MVPDs. In spite of the pretense. I'm sorry, but when they say that less than 10 percent of households is using FOTA TV these days, I flat do not believe them. It just sounds like the sort of self-serving fiction they need to repeat over and over, simply to forward their activist agenda.

At least we mostly agree on this. The percentage of homes using FOTA is open for debate.