[opendtv] Re: Commissioner Copps on Internet openness

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Nov 2010 19:24:27 -0500

At 6:05 PM -0500 11/20/10, Albert Manfredi wrote:
Craig Birkmaier wrote:

 This makes the fact that 60% of prime time and 70-80% of
 non-prime time "live TV" viewing is non-broadcast content
 even more significant, as FOTA homes do not contribute to
 the latter.

Problem is, I don't even buy that statistic. I'd love to know just how that statistic is calculated.

I have a feeling that what the stat really says is that non-major-TV-network content is watched during non-prime-time, which is hardly surprising. Or maybe the number includes people mindlessly watching CNN showing in airport monitors, during non prime time, as TV viewing.

Check the Neilsen ratings. The Broadcast networks have had about 40% of the Prime TIme audience for several years. They still have about 80% of the top 100 programs, but it's six channels against nearly 100.

The ratings systems have been trying to measure out-of-home viewing for a number of years. The most significant audience for out of home is "sports bars," a mixed bag, as only a limited portion of what is being viewed is on the broadcast networks.

Bert can probably verify that most federal building are filled with TVs tuned to CNN.

I don't watch TV during the day much, aside perhaps from the occasional 24 hour international news channels on weekends, but I would be surprised if no one is watching soaps anymore? Or did they take those off FOTA TV? Dunno.

Most of the soaps are gone. The highest rated has an audience of about 3 million.

This is probably a very large audience for the daytime parts, but the aggregate of cable is still above 70%. Things improve a bit with the late afternoon syndicated programs like Oprah...

But Oprah is leaving FOTA for cable.