[opendtv] Re: Comcast Exec Sees Greater Use of DVRs

  • From: "Kon Wilms" <kon@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 16:20:58 -0500

> Monty Solomon wrote:
> http://www.quote.com/home/news/story.asp?story=3D57137066
>
> Well, *someone* is sure confused.
>
> I looked at the article to see what this mysterious "networking
> technology" was suppose to be, and here's what it says:
>
> ------------Quoting--------------
> ---------------------------------
>
> A PVR, by defintiion, is "personal," meaning on the premises of the
> subscriber. What they are describing here is VOD, not PVR. The problem

I think you are confused. They describe a DVR, not a PVR. 'PVR' is not
mentioned anywhere in the article. And even if it were, the location of
the storage element (local, NAS, whatever) is moot. The 'recording' is
still user initiated, even though it is offsite and managed by a booking
system. All recorded media is VOD at the time you play it back from storage.

This model makes conditional access much easier to manage. I fear the
load it puts on the network though, and the hardware required for
multihoming playback of popular shows and recording in popular timeslots.

Cheers
Kon