[opendtv] Re: Comcast Exec Sees Greater Use of DVRs

  • From: "Albert Manfredi" <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 01 Apr 2006 17:15:44 -0500

Richard Hollandsworth wrote:

>Here's a news article from a reporter who was actually
>paying attention:
>http://news.com.com/2102-1033_3-6056149.html?tag=st.util.print
>The new technology is called RS-DVR (Remote Storage DVR).

Aha. That does make a lot more sense. They are touting the advantages of
this over what DBS companies have to do, but I have my doubts. This should
increase even more the labor-intensive aspects of cable nets, compared with
schemes in which subscribers might be able to buy their own approved PVRs.

This article explicitly states exactly the opposite of the headline in the
previous article, right at the top:

"... doing away with the need for digital video recorder boxes made by
companies like TiVo and Cisco Systems' Scientific-Atlanta ..."