[opendtv] Re: Comcast Exec Sees Greater Use of DVRs

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 15:16:46 -0500

Monty Solomon wrote:

>      Comcast Exec Sees Greater Use of DVRs
>     - Mar 30, 2006 02:50 PM (AP Online)
>
>By SETH SUTEL AP Business Writer
>
> NEW YORK (AP) -- A top executive at Comcast Corp., the
> largest cable TV company in the country, on Thursday
> predicted that the cable industry would move toward
> adopting a networking technology that could
> significantly increase the use of digital video
> recorders.
>
> Steve Burke, the chief operating officer at Comcast,
> told an investor conference that he thought that a
> trial of the new technology that was recently announced
> by rival cable operator Cablevision Systems Corp.
> looked promising, and seemed to be on a solid legal
> footing.

http://www.quote.com/home/news/story.asp?story=3D57137066

Well, *someone* is sure confused.

I looked at the article to see what this mysterious "networking
technology" was suppose to be, and here's what it says:

------------Quoting--------------
"It's a very good idea, very well thought through," Burke said at the
conference in New York, which was hosted by Bank of America. "If it all
works out, I'm sure the rest of the industry will follow."

The new system that Cablevision is trying would allow cable users to
retrieve recorded shows from the cable company's system, rather than
from a hard drive installed on a special set-top cable box.=20

Such a system could save costs for the cable company by having less
expensive cable boxes installed in homes, while also making it possible
to offer the premium service to more subscribers.

A PVR, by defintiion, is "personal," meaning on the premises of the
subscriber. What they are describing here is VOD, not PVR. The problem
with true VOD is, of course, that it requires a huge amount of
bandwidth, because presumably each subscriber would be allowed to call
up a show of his choosing at any time. And the show would be unicast in
real time.