[opendtv] Re: Collusion

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 15:45:01 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Want to see the latest satellite or weather radar imagery?

While I'm driving?

A new reason for road rage has emerged, as far as I'm concerned. It's that
idiot that prevents me from getting through the stale green light, because he's
so addicted to his texting or other improper use of electronic toys while
driving. Just yesterday alone, two such geniuses found a way to stop exactly
where one wouldn't expect: one in the middle of an intersection, the other on
an on-ramp. But lucky for us, we have Craig to elucidate us on what is the
modern way of thinking and doing.

> Radio has competition in today's mobile world.

Competition is good. Stifling competition for an excess of greed is not.

> Then why do we need Net Neutrality regulations?

You seem to have infinite faith that IP delivery of material will result in
such things as a la carte pricing. I explained to you a drop dead obvious
example of how this does not need to be case. I even posted an IETF Internet
Draft document that laid out all of the requirements for just such non-neutral
ISP controls to content delivery, even in an IP multicast environment.

Can we stop with the circular arguments? If your wishes about IP delivery
depend 100 percent on net neutrality, then explain how net neutrality can be
guaranteed. Otherwise, you are back to your MVPD walled garden with tiered
pricing. Your infinite faith is very simply uninformed, Craig.

> You need to isolate the components of the system and share the costs of
> building and maintaining the parts that are resource intensive and
> unnecessary to duplicate.

The expected double-talk. Now tell me, if everyone depends on this
infrastructure, and it can't practically be duplicated, what mechanism is there
to self-regulate the costs of it? Especially after the initial bidding for the
initial installation? Since there can be no competition between physical
infrastructures, what keeps the connection costs in check, in your capitalist
nirvana? Trust that they do the right thing?

> In a competitive marketplace this happens all the time;

And when it happens, the uncompetitive portions of the marketplace are heavily
regulated. This literally does happen all the time, Craig.

> The world is changing Bert
> The world is changing Bert
> The world is changing Bert
> Fortunately the world is changing Bert.

Wow. We should consider ourselves lucky to have such a well-connected mentor on
this list.