[opendtv] Re: Collusion

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 30 May 2011 22:37:35 -0400

The difference is the extent to which one scheme tethers you. Paying for something when you buy it, rather than being tied to the permanent sucking sound. The marketplace, in fact, has not gone to satellite radio in a huge way, so it's simply obnoxious when a car company makes that your only option, when a decent alternative exists. But like I said, there are other car companies, so this is not a big deal.

Clearly GM and others want to sell services that can produce "revenue after the sale." The radio in most new models is becoming an "infotainment" system, with a high resolution console display, navigation features, entertainment and even Internet access.

While GM includes XM Radio, XM Nav and OnStar capabilities in most models now, the buyer is not obligated to subscribe to any of them. AM/FM and CD players are also standard.

HD Radio is free, and radio broadcasters are trying hard to get the message out that you don't need another subscription to be entertained in your new car.

Nevertheless, BOTH Broadcasters and XM are sucking wind because consumers now carry their music with them, and soon will have access to their music lockers in the cloud. Consider these paragraphs from the web page promoting the new Chevy Cruz (a low cost, high mileage compact):

Hands-free and more
Bluetooth® wireless technology for select phones comes standard in 2LT and LTZ and is available in every other Cruze model. Take all your calls with one simple touch of a button on the convenient steering wheel-mounted controls.

USB Port
The USB port, standard in 2LT and LTZ and available in every other Cruze model, connects your MP3 player to the audio system. You can even plug in a music-loaded flash drive into the USB port and jam while you're hitting the road.

The world is changing Bert.

 "This is not your fathers car radio."

Parenthetically, listening to MP3 players or iPods is not a replacement for radio, unless your recorded material can somehow provide real time traffic, weather, and news. Some of these players, I think the most recent Zune does offer built-in HD Radio, by the way.

YUP. The Zune is really tearing it up in the marketplace...

Real time traffic is now a "crowd sourced" app.

Want to see the latest satellite or weather radar imagery?

And the last time I checked, most AM and FM stations still delivered news. But they may not offer the news you are searching for...

The world is changing Bert.

Radio has competition in today's mobile world.

 Yes there are issues with overbuilding and duplication of expensive
 infrastructure.

That's all that matters. All the rest is pointless words. We are talking about services that cannot duplicate their infrastructure credibly, so they have to be regulated. No point going on and on about this.

WRONG.

We are talking about industries and services that ENJOY their status as regulated monopolies and oligopolies. They enjoy the protection from competition. They have no reason to work together as an industry to leverage expensive infrastructure components.

At least that used to be the case.

But the myth of natural monopolies has now been exposed for what it is...

COLUSION.

Broadband was originally a case of attempting to force the company that built the infrastructure to share it with Johnny-come-latelies. Obviously, that wasn't going to work, so the only other alternative of the time, cable, got a virtual broadband monopoly there, for a few years. ADSL didn't take off until the telcos could retain the rights to their infrastructure. Now with wireless broadband, that equation can change, hopefully will. So competition can work, and regulation of prices isn't necessary.

Then why do we need Net Neutrality regulations?

Or for that matter, why do we need an FCC at all?

 The same is true for any utility. California is now deregulating the
 electric industry. Everyone is allowed to sell power through a common grid.

You still need the monopoly for the grid. As a consumer, you don't have the freedom to connect to different companies' power grids, right? That hookup cost still has to be regulated, until someone figures out how multiple grids can coexist in any given neighborhood.

No Bert. You need to isolate the components of the system and share the costs of building and maintaining the parts that are resource intensive and unnecessary to duplicate. In a competitive marketplace this happens all the time; in a regulated marketplace we pay for infrastructure that is not even being used like the dark fiber in my front yard.

The world is changing Bert.

Natural monopolies INCREASE the cost of the services they deliver because they CAN, and they need to give the regulators a cut of the action.

 >> For example, when you complain about retrans consent fees. Forgive me but
 I have to say this. The cost of rising retrans consent fees couldn't
 happen to a more deserving person. Know what I mean?

 Sorry Bert, I don't understand.

 Are you saying that we deserve to pay higher than free market rates for
 electricity, water, and telephony?

I'm saying, those who spend years and years championing the cause of walled gardens deserve to pay the price. Electricity and water are walled, and uncompetitive, so they are strictly regulated. So that's a different matter. But TV walled gardens are numerous enough to not have to be strictly regulated. But the are still walled in, they still tether you to control you. So if you like that distribution model so much, then feel free to pay the price. Else resist, and then see how the options emerge.

These are NOT different matters. They are all connected by the common belief that natural monopolies provide a benefit, which they do. But that benefit is not for the consumer. It is for the regulators and the regulated.

As long as the politicians allow the media conglomerates and their content partners in Hollywood and college/professional sports, to operate as oligopolies, the walls are likely to remain.

Fortunately the world is changing Bert.

Better options are beginning to emerge.