[opendtv] Re: Canadian regulator nixes HDTV Networks license request

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 08:45:30 -0400

At 11:31 AM -0400 4/9/08, Manfredi, Albert E wrote:
Similarly, to the extent people buy satellite radio, it is because they
want the sort of content they claim is not available in local radio. You
don't often hear complaints that satellite radio doesn't have enough
local content, but plenty of people complain that local radio doesn't
have enough content of the type that has nothing to do with the
listener's geographic location.

CLOSE.

The main reasons that people buy Sat Radio are:

1. No ads on most music channels
2. Seamless footprint for people who drive frequently across market boundaries
3. Depth of music selection.

You don't hear about the lack of local Sat Radio content because the rules for use of the spectrum allocated by the FCC are that they CANNOT provide local content. The NAB and radio broadcasters have had fits about the limited number of channels that provide traffic information for big cities.

Here's an example. One of the advantages of OTA TV is that, in
principle, it can be beamed to portable and mobile appliances. So let's
say a local broadcaster wants to take advantage of this. What type of
content should this broadcaster air? Local high school football games?
The local Chamber of Commerce and PTA meetings? I doubt it. Maybe the
occasional local weather and news, but that had better be the exception
and not the rule.

I don't think broadcasters have a clue about what people want beamed to their MPH devices. I agree that local public service content ain't it. But most of the rest of the content that broadcasters deliver is not it either. Sports could be a big deal, but the leagues are probably going to tell the broadcasters that their rights do not cover delivery of sporting events to MPH devices...

What to deliver to people on the move is the NEW $64,000 question for the TV industry.

I suspect that we are going to see many new ideas in this space, but in the end I believe that file downloads (via IP Multicasts) may be the biggest application. There's lot's of room in the download space for content services that people will subscribe to if the price is right.

Americans like to be able to buy Coors beer no matter where they live.
That's just the way it is.

Bite your tongue. Coors and the rest of the big boys are stagnant in terms of market growth. Craft brewing grew 17% last year.

I think that there is potential for the broadcast of more local content, but we are not likely to see this potential realized until the old broadcast model is no longer economically viable. The reason that local content is nearly non-existent is that it is too easy to make money running syndicated content.