[opendtv] Re: Canadian regulator nixes HDTV Networks license request

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Apr 2008 15:40:12 -0400

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> The main reasons that people buy Sat Radio are:

> 2. Seamless footprint for people who drive frequently
> across market boundaries

Which terrestrial broadcasters can also offer, AS LONG AS they are not
handicapped by any well-intentioned but clueless regulations.

> 3. Depth of music selection.

And that same music selection is available, and demanded, throughout the
country, unencumbered by draconian regulations.

That's my point. Yes, the lack of ads is a POTENTIAL benefit of
satellite radio. But you know what? I have read interviews of people who
say they would accept ads on their satellite radio, if that meant an end
of the subscription fees. Didn't I post that to this list? I think I
did.

So, if you want terrestrial broadcasting to survive, you have to allow
it to compete on an even playing field.

> I don't think broadcasters have a clue about what
> people want beamed to their MPH devices. I agree that
> local public service content ain't it.

Local anything ain't it, except in small doses.

Let's just say that Sinclair tries out different content in the
Baltimore market, and finds a good combination. In my view, whatever
that content turns out to be should be fair game for all Sinclair
stations anywhere in the country.

I think you might be off the mark about what makes good content. It is
possible, for example, that travelers waiting at airports WOULD like to
watch the TV show they could have been watching at home. Sports are
always a good draw, since you mentioned it. And if the sports franchises
don't see a good thing staring them in the face, they deserve to lose
out.