[opendtv] Re: California Prepares to Limit TV Energy Use

  • From: Tom Barry <trbarry@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Oct 2009 16:08:40 -0400

In between stints in physics and computers I majored for a couple years
in Human Communications.  There I once took a language theory course
that suggested in most any language a word that gets frequently used
will evolve to become shorter and/or easier to pronounce.   It's my
belief that the jiga prefix was probably correct before we computer guys
got a hold of  it and actually had things to commonly discuss with
counts in the billions, whereupon it became pronounce giga, with a hard g.

So I think both Doc Markley and Doc Brown were right at the time but the
j pronunciation has changed and is no longer correct.

- Tom