[opendtv] Re: California Prepares to Limit TV Energy Use

  • From: Albert Manfredi <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Oct 2009 18:27:02 -0400

Tom Barry wrote:

> Just checked the back of my 37" Vizio TV/computer
> display and it says 120V, 3.2A.  That would be
> almost 400W.   But I suspect it could be under
> 100W if they cared, and used LED back light.
> Just a SWAG there but, if true, that would be a
> significant savings for someone like me that has
> used almost all spiral bulbs for 6-8 years.

Right, that's exactly my point. The reason the monitor might be drawing a
significant percentage of power, in your case, is because you have already
taken care of a much bigger offender. But the vast majority of people have not.
To them, that monitor probably amounts to no more than four lit light bulbs,
which draw that power all evening long. Has California banned incandescent
light bulbs starting next year, for instance?

In fact, as of today anyway, you can't even use CFLs in every appliance. I
think one problem is that they have a hard time cooling if mounted "upside
down," or in enclosed fixtures. It's the seminconductors in the base that are
the issue. They fail prematurely if they get too hot. It doesn't take a lot of
these exceptions to equal that TV monitor.

Also, the back lights of LCD TVs, when they aren't LED, are fluorescent. So my
impression is that blinking it off, e.g. to improve black levels, might save
more energy than going to LEDs? I'm not sure. Jeroen probably has the numbers.