[opendtv] Cablevision to offer HBO Now streaming service - MarketWatch

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: OpenDTV Mail List <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 10:29:05 -0400

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/cablevision-to-offer-hbo-now-streaming-service-2015-03-16

Cablevision to offer HBO Now streaming servic

Cablevision Systems Corp. became the first cable operator to agree to offer
HBO’s new streaming service, HBO Now, to its broadband customers, the companies
announced Monday, signaling HBO’s first success in convincing a longtime
partner that its new service won’t be cannibalistic.

The deal comes a week after HBO announced that Apple Inc. AAPL, +1.42%   would
be its exclusive digital partner for launching HBO Now next month. At the time,
HBO officials underscored that the Apple deal wouldn’t preclude it from
launching with traditional distributors as well.

Since HBO first announced its plans last October to offer its service for the
first time outside the pay-TV bundle, the company has emphasized that its first
choice was to do so in partnership with its longtime distribution partners that
are responsible for the vast majority of its revenue. But as Time Warner Inc.
TWX, -0.59%   Chief Executive Jeff Bewkes told investors at a conference last
week, some of these distributors “have been kind of negative about it.”

The deal announced Monday didn’t include any details on pricing or packaging.
The service will be available in April in time for the fifth season of “Game of
Thrones.”

“As New York’s premier connectivity company, we are enabling Optimum Online
customers to enjoy content in any way they choose to receive it,” said Kristin
Dolan, chief operating officer of Cablevision CVC, -1.81%  , in a statement.
“We are well-positioned to support HBO Now and, as technology advances,
Cablevision will continue to meet the evolving needs of our customers."