[opendtv] Re: Cablevision to offer HBO Now streaming service - MarketWatch

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Mar 2015 21:22:20 -0400

Ahhhh
Progress!

Clearly the Cablevision agreement to offer HBO Now is covered by a new
agreement with different terms than the MVPD gets for the linear service. These
agreements must be negotiated with every MVPD. This may be part of the reason
other agreements have not been announced. Or there may have been widespread
resistance to the new terms, and Cablevision was enticed to break the ice.

 The real icebreaker though was the Apple announcement. The MVPD monopoly on
HBO is over.