[opendtv] Re: Cablevision to offer HBO Now streaming service - MarketWatch

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Mar 2015 01:02:19 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> Title II has nothing to do with it. Nobody will block  HBO
> bits. **It is up to the MVPDs to decide if they want to sell the
> new service.** [My emphasis added.]

I think I finally found the disconnect.

Craig is saying that the only thing the MVPD/ISPs object to is to collect the
monthly fees for HBO Now. Because doing so would conflict with their other
model. But that if HBO Now is managed by some other third party, e.g. Apple, or
even directly by HBO, then there is no evidence that the MVPD/ISPs are blocking
anything.

Craig may actually be right! Looking at various articles, I've found that the
Apple exclusive only applies to other specific platforms, not to the ISPs
themselves. If the MVPD/ISPs agree to directly offer HBO to their broadband
subscribers themselves, i.e. the ISP collects the fees for HBO, then the
exclusive to Apple doesn't apply.

And *this* is the only thing the MVPD/ISPs are resisting. If, say, HBO itself
were to collect their own fees, or if they were to enlist another company like
Amazon to do so, then the MVPD/ISPs have said nothing to indicate they'd object
or block.

Finally. Okay, until anything says otherwise, I'll buy this explanation.