[opendtv] Re: Cable vs. Telco: What Happens When Competition Outpaces Washington Rules

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 13 May 2005 13:19:08 -0400

What you describe is obviously NOT "TV". It something better than TV. TV
as we know it is dead. Wireless broadcast spectrum will be used in the
mix. It will be best used when it delivers ubiquitously mobile or fixed.
With the coming of inexpensive massive storage, multi terabytes, the
Tivo model will morph from choosing what you want to record to recording
everything unless you have decided not to record an item or category.
You won't miss anything. We have to find a name for it. Or does it need
a name? What's in a name anyway? Long live TV!

Of course the present generation above 10 years of age has to die off
for this to become normal. Personally I find that I still am clicking
through the channels to find whats on even though I could record
everything and watch it when I want. Old habits die slowly.

Bob Miller