[opendtv] Re: Cable cord cutting: not ready for prime time

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 2 Feb 2011 08:53:59 -0500

That's one for Craig to watch, especially. Note: people want to vegge out when they watch TV. They don't want their TV experience to become a PC experience. They don't even necessarily want to choose from a menu. They want live streams of familiar stuff they can just watch.

Millions of Netflix subscribers veg out every day...

The video brings out two important issues:

1. Much of the most desirable content is not available Over-the-top.

2. The user experience for most of the devices tested is far from being simple for those in a "vegetative" state.

Perhaps the term Bottom Feeders was both harsh and incorrect. Maybe the reality is that people just want to turn off their brains when they sit down to watch TV...

Even without depending on any of those limited Internet TV schemes, like Apple TV and the rest, the user interface for Internet TV can be very easy, actually. Turns out, once you've set up your favorite sites in the browser, all the TV sites I use can be browsed with the mouse alone. It's very easy. You boot up, type in your password assuming you have set one up, and then put the remote keyboard off to a side. The rest is done with the mouse - no more cumbersome than a typical TV remote. Just slide the mouse on the couch next to you.

Interesting observation Bert. One that is not entirely consistent with the video.

In many areas of our lives we have come to expect that the new "digital experience" can be far easier than the old processes that are being replaced.

For example, Netflix is doing well because it is much easier to hit a few buttons and watch a stream than it was to get in the car and drive to Blockbuster to rent a movie.

We use bookmarks, shortcuts and macros to simplify many things when using a computer or smart mobile device. So the real issue is developing devices and interfaces that properly integrate every possible service and connection, AND a GUI that does not require a keyboard and mouse to watch TV.