[opendtv] Re: Cable cord cutting: not ready for prime time

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 3 Feb 2011 09:37:33 -0500

Another thing: if this Internet TV becomes more prevalent, I can guarantee you that the various TV web sites will see the need to not make constant changes to their compression algorithm and so on, exactly for the reason the one person talked about in the video. And I also mentioned in the past. People don't want to spend time updating their browsers or what have you, just to watch their evening TV. Especially not if individual sites each have their own special solutions that they keep modifying.

If the codec is software based with some help from a programmable GPU, there should be no problem with improving the compression algorithms.

We agree that we are not there yet, but may disagree on how to get there. Truth is that the ability to deal with HDTV is now well within the bandwidth of general purpose computing devices. At some point additional quality is no longer a driving force, as we saw with the evolution of digital audio.