[opendtv] Re: CNET: HBO Now to be sold through Cablevision too

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 Mar 2015 22:56:33 -0400

On Mar 17, 2015, at 6:50 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Fully expecting Craig to tell me I got it all wrong, contract clauses are the
> reason, Apple site available to anyone, whatever, this version of the story
> makes exactly the same points I made in my previous port.
>
> Bert

Wrong?

You don't even understand it, so how could you get it right?

Apple was in a strong position to get a short term exclusive, before HBO signs
up other middlemen that are NOT MVPDs.

In reality the. Apple deal is not an exclusive, as MVPDs already sell HBO.
Cablevision already sells HBO; now they will sell HBO Now as well.

The important story here is that by doing the deal with Apple, HBO put pressure
on its MVPD partners to agree to a better revenue split...for HBO. Cablevision
had the good sense to see this and move proactively to protect its customer
base. HBO wins either way.