[opendtv] Re: CBS and NCB signal the end of 'prime-time' TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2005 12:52:55 -0500

At 9:21 AM -0500 11/10/05, John Shutt wrote:

>Why would a broadcaster wish to steal their precious broadcasting bits to
>deliver alternate scenes for caching?  How do they make money from this?
>Who is going to build and distribute the boxes with this capability to every
>single viewer just to catch the impulse buyer who is maybe 1 in 100 people?
>Why would the content owners even give them permission to do this?  Why
>would I as a consumer want to pay for it?  If I want a cached version, I buy
>a TiVi-ish device and cache it in real time.  If I didn't set my TiVo-ish
>device, then what do I do? Download it from the net for $.99.

WHO SAID ANYTHING ABOUT STEALING BITS?

If DirecTV can download NBC shows to cache during off peak hours,
broadcasters could do the same thing.

The free-to-air service is like all the crap you see at the theater,
before you get to see the stuff you paid for.

One feeds the other...

You may well be correct that the networks will not allow affiliates
to do this. And it would take a new platform to do it, with a PVR and
some mechanism to collect the fees. I suspect that the networks will
decide to use the subscription services that already have a hand in
our pockets.

Consumers are ALREADY paying for all kinds of content. That cable
bill includes $10-20 per month in subscribe fees for advertiser
supported networks. The pie already has plenty of money in it. All we
are taking about is who gets to slice the pie.