[opendtv] Re: CBS and NCB signal the end of 'prime-time' TV

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 16:32:07 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> > I certainly wouldn't get excited about such a
> > destruction of TV broadcasting. Not saying it can't
> > happen. Just saying it's only something a marketing
> > mogul could love.
>
> Excuse me Bert, but I think I have been agreeing with
> you that selling current TV shows will not destroy
> "the big net" of advertiser supported television. I
> just wrote an column today advocating that broadcasters
> create a platform so that they can deliver and get paid
> for these downloads too.
>
> TV broadcasters are destroying themselves by ignoring
> the opportunity to create a competitive digital
> television platform to exploit their considerable
> advantages.

Perhaps we only have a disagreement in degree. I'm not
saying that for broadcasters to sell content, in addition
to providing a decent quality broadcast system, is wrong.
I'm only saying that turning OTA broadcast into this:

> The free-to-air service is like all the crap you
> see at the theater, before you get to see the stuff
> you paid for.

would be almost dereliction of duty by the FCC.

The broadcasters are being provided with publically
owned spectrum for a service that cannot be devalued into
ads and previews. Bad enough this public space is being
trashed with infomercials. At least, they're off prime
time.

We *already* have Blockbuster and Netflix, and we can
certainly agree that these services will evolve to
online distribution of content. What we don't need, and
what the FCC must not permit, is for public spectrum to
be reduced to nothing more than ads for businesses such
as Netflix or Blockbuster.

I see no reason to demolish FOTA TV. This idea sounds a
bit like the hype about the wonderful new TV Guide
format. If TV Guide was not going under fast enough
before the switch, I'm sure it's going to disappear in
a big hurry now.