[opendtv] Re: CBS Sells 'CSI' SVOD Rights | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Feb 2015 19:59:01 -0500

On Feb 13, 2015, at 7:03 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> I'm wondering what you think I'm unclear about, Craig. Nothing in that
> article said anything surprising or unknown to me. It merely states that
> Moonves is planning on giving streaming rights to SCI episodes to some third
> party OTT site.

You are unclear about what CBS is licensing and to what type of OTT service.

> The one who is confused about any of this would be the one who thinks that
> "as is" MVPD content bundles are merely moving to the Internet. Or at least,
> that was your long-held position until finally you had to relent some.

Irrelevant to this discussion,even IF I am wrong - I am not.

> This being yet another example. CBS is okay with giving rights to this
> content for online distribution, WITHOUT having to bundle it along with a
> bunch of other non-CBS content, as they would be demanding from a traditional
> MVPD.

This is exactly what I am talking about.

The deal just announced is a syndication deal for "used" content. No different
than CBS licensing CSI to international broadcasters or cable networks (they do
both).

The channels CBS licenses to MVPDs are linear streaming networks including CBS.
Some of these channels carry the first broadcast of new episodes of CSI. Some
may carry reruns of CSI.

This is the first time CBS has licensed the complete older library of CSI
programs to. SVOD service, although these shows are part of the VOD library
available to CBS All Access subscribers.

So Bert, why would CBS license these episodes to. SVOD service when they
already offer them direct to consumer via CBS All Access?

> So again, I'm baffled why you think this is something I didn't already know.

To know something you must first understand it.

Obviously you do not.