[opendtv] Re: CBS Sells 'CSI' SVOD Rights | Broadcasting & Cable

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Feb 2015 01:35:55 -0500

On Feb 18, 2015, at 10:48 PM, Manfredi, Albert E <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
wrote:

> Exactly. Not just the one exclusive distribution pipe as the old days. Hence,
> "high value" and "exclusive pipe" are NOT correlated anymore as you claimed
> they are, Craig. There may be several pipes for that high value, first run,
> even linear content.

What rubbish.

High value and exclusive pipe have not been correlated for decades for some
content.

You consider many broadcast network shows to be high value, as you should. But
they have been available via multiple pipes for decades. The exclusivity lies
in the pipe(s) used for the premiere broadcast.

And it can work the other way. Netflix offers many exclusive high value shows -
but you cannot get them via linear MVPD networks.

>> There is NOTHING innovative about Dish Sling,
>
> Of course there is. You get brand new ESPN content, in a pipe that's
> different from the previously exclusive "the bundle." How is it we have to go
> over this so many times?

Sorry, but that is not innovation Bert. I can watch the same ESPN channels on
my iPad or iPhone using that "different pipe;" I've been doing it for more than
a year.

Sling is just a slimed down MVPD bundle delivered via the Internet, as opposed
to cable, fiber or DBS.

How many times have we been over this. Sling is cheaper because it offers less
- that's not innovation.

> Without ESPN having to be on the exclusive and lucrative "the bundle" *only*,
> Craig. Without ESPN being subsidized by legions of "the bundle" subscribers
> who couldn't care less about sports.

Different bundle. Same provider - Dish.

And every sling subscriber pays for ESPN, whether they watch it or not. Just
like subscribers do with the bigger, more expensive bundle Dish sells via the
old "exclusive" pipe.

> The perfect examples of content that was previously exclusive to MVPD walls,
> ESPN and HBO, no longer will be. Soon to be joined by Showtime.

ESPN is still exclusive to MVPD bundles - NO CHANGE.

HBO IS still a premium service separate from other bundles, soon to be
available via MVPD services or the Internet. Several MVPD services already
offer HBO with broadband and local stations or the basic tier; no need to buy
the extended basic bundle.

Showtime is in the same boat as HBO.

And soon most everything will be available via the Internet, including MVPD
services, both the full extended basic bundle and slimmed down bundles.

> I don't understand how you keep up this pretense of exclusive MVPD pipe =
> high value content.

Because it is a fact, not a pretense.

 I am not saying MVPDs have a monopoly on high value content. Netflix and
Amazon are spending billions to get into the game, and FOTA TV delivers
exclusive high value content. What I am saying is that MVPD services are
popular (85% of U.S. Homes) because they offer exclusive high value content;
delivering this content via the Internet is evolutionary, not revolutionary.
The big difference is the ability to support both linear networks AND VOD. The
traditional MVPD services offer limited VOD options, and are moving to the
Internet to expand these options.