[opendtv] Re: Burn your own DVDs at legal kiosks

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 23 Apr 2007 14:51:52 -0700

There seems to be a disconnect here.  Let's take Humphrey Bogart's first
film appearance -- in 1920's-era "Men Are Such Fools" (directed by Busby
Berkeley, but with no dancing sequences.)  It's hard

If a digital copy of this got out in the wild -- I saw the film on XETV in
1978 -- maybe 1000 people around the world would be interested, even if it
were available on a p2p network.

Compare that to the market interest in "Blades of Glory."

Having the first title available for download without CSS, I suspect that
more people would pay for it than would be interested in a DVD copy with
CSS.  The CSS encoding would seem to diminish the commercial prospects
versus one without it; the exact opposite of "Blades of Glory."

I can only conclude that someone is lying here, and I don't mean 'Bert.

John Willkie, who routinely looks for a listing of "Men Are Such Fools" to
see how inclusive a film database is.