[opendtv] Re: Broadcast station totals

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2011 18:17:51 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

>> These are the types of OTA TV enhancements that some people prefer to
>> ignore, including the Genachowski FCC. If you can use less spectrum to
>> transmit NBC/CBS/ABC/Fox, that's all that matters, right?
>
> They are ignored because, other than the Spanish language networks, the
> audiences, and thus the revenues generated, are inconsequential.

Many of these are new, and more importantly, I doubt the FCC knows what the
viewership is. I must have seen one of the first broadcasts of Antenna TV, for
instance, just months ago. You can't expect instant large viewership.

This is exactly what the broadcasters have been complaining about. No sooner do
they start sorting out what to transmit on their multicast capacity that the
FCC wants to yank spectrum away, ignoring entirely that more than just
NBC/ABC/CBS/Fox are on the air.

> There is no reason to believe that broadcasters cannot deliver 30-50
> channels in half of the spectrum they now occupy.

Those are empty words, Craig. Almost like, "where do we begin?"

There is also no reason to believe that they can't deliver over one tenth of
the spectrum, if you create a much more expensive infrastructure and require
more expensive receivers and possibly even more touchy reception. Just be happy
that for the time being, 8T-VSB is more spectrally efficient than any 3G or
4G/LTE deployed, in terms of b/s/Hz.

> If all of these specialty and DTV channels can survive now, there will
> be capacity to deliver them after the real DTV transition...

Possibly, you are talking about Internet distribution. When bandwidth becomes
ample enough, true. But notice, for example, how cops these days use BOTH the
traditional two-way radios AND cell phones.