[opendtv] Re: Broadband DTV interferers

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 15:37:27 -0500

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

> I was talking about geographically isolated markets, which
> often encompass large areas with small populations. All you
> need to do is look at one of those images of the U.S. continent
> at night to see where the people are...

If you want to serve those areas with a USEFUL OTA service, then you are
far better off deploying translators from the nearest large market. As
broadcasters do, at least sometimes. Otherwise, all you will do is drive
the folks to DBS. Yes, maybe even on-channel repeaters, in some cases.
NO, these would certainly not qualify as SFNs, and that's hardly just
semantics, Craig.

> You did no such thing. You simply explained where the big
> stick transmitters are today.

Read it again, Craig. I showed you which markets reuse the frequency
channels.

> There is no reason that these markets cannot be served by a mix
> of medium powered transmittwers ringing the core market, and
> repeaters to cover the areas that are terrain blocked or too
> far from the mains to get decent reception.

Give some specifics on this "ring," just so we aren't just wildly waving
our arms, Craig.

The simple fact is, a viable "ring," as you call it, would consist of
maybe two towers spaced closely together. While they might make close-in
reception easier MAYBE, they will do absolutely nothing to help the
distant reception problem, and may actually make it worse. It all
depends how tall these towers are. If they are big sticks, then for
distant reception they would approximate one big stick with the same ERP
as the sum of the SFN sticks.

There was a lot of thoroughly uninformed hype about SFNs a few years
ago, Craig. People just latched on to the notion, as if somehow it came
for free. As if there were no constraints, no qualifications. I never
bought into the hype, and you seem to prefer to argue using the vaguest
of descriptions. I gave you real-world examples such as Berlin and
Paris, and still you persist.