[opendtv] Re: Broadband DTV interferers

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 28 Jan 2008 12:44:31 -0500

This is what you said:

> In some rural market you might be able to use virtually all of the
> channels allocated to TV broadcasting, as there would not be any
> markets close enough to interfere with.

Sounds like you think rural areas should have no meaningful TV coverage
to me. How else could you use "virtually all the channels?"

> In fact, you have provided a perfect example...
>
> Cliff lives in the Philladelphia market, yet he has great
> difficulty receiving the Philly stations because of terrain
> blocking issues. He would be PROPERLY served via the SFN that
> covers Philadelphia.

No, Craig, not SFNs. Cliff lives 35 miles south of Phila. To have an SFN
tower over the top of the hill, you would need a dense mesh of towers
throughout the area, because 35 miles is way too long a distance between
towers of a real SFN. A much better idea is to locate a low-powered
on-channel repeater or translator tower on the hill, aiming its signal
downward and to the South.

> Stop trying to confuse the issues for the sake of argument.

I gave you the specifics about channel reuse up and down the East Coast,
rather than vague arguments about "hundreds of miles." I gave you
specifics about large area SFNs and their drawbacks. To me, vague
assertions about how wonderful SFNs would be constitute "gratuitous
negativism." And can only delay progress.