[opendtv] Re: [Brazilian] Government threatens digital TV manufacturers

  • From: Albert Manfredi <bert22306@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 17:09:11 -0400

John Shutt wrote:

> This STB of Bert's is meant to be "coupon compliant" so it by
> law cannot have a true HD output. Since the highest resolution
> output it is allowed to have is S-Video at 480i (component
> output at any resolution including 480p is a disqualifying
> feature) then decimation is an acceptable downconversion
> technique.

Right, except it's not my STB.

Back in the late 1990s, it seemed as if decimating and then going to an SD
decoder would be the cheap way to do an SD box. But I figured before too long
that the price of HL decoders would drop so much with mass production that it
wouldn't make sense to use ML decoders in countries where HD is *not*
simulcast. I'll bet that's what Digital Stream did. We'll know when someone
tears into one of these.

One potential reason for the higher price of the SBTVD boxes is that they must
include the H.264 decoder.