[opendtv] Re: [Brazilian] Government threatens digital TV manufacturers

  • From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2007 11:34:49 -0700

John;

Thank you.  I consciously declined to mention that "requirement" from my
post, to see if anybody sensible would recall the need to handle HDTV input
signals and output them in NTSC.  I just can't wait to see those HDTV
signals in analog within a 6-MHz channel.

Now, a fool would handle MP@HL by using the most expensive technique to
down-rez HDTV to SDTV; someone who actually designed electronic circuits --
as opposed to people who try to read everything they can about 'electronic
design news' to inform them how to design circuits -- would choose the most
cost-effective technique consistent with the overall requirements.  If the
most cost-effective technique produced bad pictures, they would crawl up the
quality tree until they found the sweet spot in the price/performance curve.

Can you imagine Grandma and Grandpa, who have never had cable, after turning
in their voucher and a few dollars (I don't the voucher can cover sales tax,
since that's a state matter), commenting while "Watching Dancing with the
Stars" that they're not sure if the decimation technique is better than
re-sampling to get 480i output, and maybe they should have bought a new
$2,000 HDTV set than hooking up the $4.00 stb to 'old Bessie."

I don't see it happening.

John Willkie

From: "John Willkie" <johnwillkie@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>