[opendtv] Re: Apple, TV Networks Clash Over Size and Makeup of Web TV Bundle | Re/code

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 12 Dec 2015 03:23:59 +0000

Craig Birkmaier wrote:

Pure bull Bert.

Is it any wonder that Craig continues to miss trends, as they unfold in front
of his eyes?

Your examples are NOT bundles. Bundles that compete with the
traditional MVPD services offer multiple live linear networks

No, Craig, that's yesterday's news. The live linear is not so important
anymore. We have seen how well over 50% of TV is NOT viewed that way anymore,
so how the congloms sell their stuff is also changing. Sling TV is a
Disney-heavy bundle *not* just because of "live linear." That's so last
century, as they say.

They are obviously continuing to protect the business model
that is producing billions in profits. What was the new math
term you used?

Craig, they simply keep the luddites such as yourself happy with the old
method, even while they are quickly setting up new options. "Protect" is
nonsense. They are simply maintaining the old option as long as people are
willing to shell out for it.

Oh yeah! They are protecting the business model that delivers
the "lion's share" of entertainment in the U.S.

And you're wrong here too! Amazing! The lion's share of prime time TV viewing
is no longer consumed linear/live, get it?

The OTT sites they are experimenting with are not competitive
-by design - with the legacy MVPD bundles.

It's competitive enough that people are using it now, as a replacement. We'll
see what the next set of figures show. The figures from years 2013 on have
shown that the exodus, while you insist is still small, is accelerating. So the
OTT methods are being used as replacements, by many households. Your insistence
on "complementary" sounds like so much political correctness, honestly, and
we've even seen some pundits disagreeing with you on that.

No collusion?

Correct. When Disney deals with Sling TV, they do it on their own. Same goes
with CBS All Access. CBS going it alone. They are not colluding with the other
congloms, to wedge themselves in the most lucrative and bloated combined bundle.

Apple is simply an unnecessary third party here, Craig. Apple tried to horn in
on supplying Comcast (I think it was) with a walled up STB, and failed at that.
Now they want to offer a walled up MVPD look-alike, perhaps only for Apple
devices, and AGAIN the first parties involved can't figure out why.

By that logic you also have access to the TVE sites;

Not at all, Craig. For TVE sites, first I have to get cable installed at home.
Appointment, truck roll, sticky service, inability to join and leave at the
drop of a hat. It's a completely different animal. Instead, I can join Sling
TV, or CBS All Access, or Netflix, etc. etc. etc., any or all of them, just
about instantly. And drop them too. No house calls, no waiting around, no
digging up backyard or installing cable indoors.

But what you describe is just a difference in the pipe
used to buy the service.

Absolutely not. I'm describing entirely different business models. One depends
on a monopolistic pipe, and you get only one pipe to your home, whereas the
other uses a common, NEUTRAL pipe, to give you access to tons of stuff.

Cox and Comcast compete with DirecTV, Dish Networks,
Verizon FIOS AT&T Uverse, and Google Fiber.

Really, Craig? So, you really think you can opt to connect to FiOS, Uverse, or
Google Fiber? No, you can't. You might opt to get DBS, but then you still need
Cox for broadband. And you're trying to compare this with the competition
available on the web? Come now.

Really? AT&T just bought DirecTV

And DirecTV was wise! As was Dish! Don't you see what's going on here? If you
don't, say so, and I'll explain the transition.