[opendtv] =?utf-8?Q?Re:_[opendtv]_Hub_Research:_What’s_TV_Worth_20? =?utf-8?Q?15?Date: Fri, 11 Dec 2015 10:01:07 -0500

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <brewmastercraig@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx

On Dec 10, 2015, at 10:01 PM, Manfredi, Albert E
<albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The last number we have seen claimed that 53% of TV viewing is time-shifted.
I'm not sure what "default" means exactly, but it sounds suspiciously like by
April of 2015, it was 62% of TV being watched time-shifted.

Further ammo to convince the CEOs that their linear stream is NOT the most
valuable.

The CEOs are learning a lesson that the cable industry figured out in the late
'80s: providing multiple access points to their programs increases ratings,
which accumulate across time (and in the case of the Broadcast Networks across
pipes).

The live linear networks are "a" channel of distribution. Your high value prime
time programs are assets that are exploited across many distribution pipes:

1. First run on live linear network (and reruns)
2. Time shifted via DVR and in-band VOD with MVPDs
3. Catch-up via network.coms, Hulu, iTunes, Amazon (both FOTI and PPV).
4. Rerun channels on MVPD systems.
5. Sales into domestic and internal broadcast syndication.
6. Sales to SVOD services.
7. Sales/rentals via packaged media

The CEOs have known for a VERY LONG TIME that the live linear broadcasts
represent only a small portion of the revenues from these programs. They have
not expected to make a profit on the live linear broadcast of these expensive
shows since the early days of broadcasting. Each time a new distribution pipe
comes along they adapt and seek to control that pipe.

And what we watch by default is very subjective. Kinda like what should we have
for dinner tonight.

There is a clear trend to Anywhere, Anytime Any device consumption as the
report suggests.