[opendtv] Re: AVC realistic bitrates?

  • From: Bob Miller <bob@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 08 Jun 2005 13:02:10 -0400

Manfredi, Albert E wrote:

>Kon Wilms wrote:
>

>>Instead of guestimates, try this for size:
>>http://www.xile.net/xvid_vs_x264/720p.html
>>
>>With a tweaked mencoder/ffmpeg script I am encoding
>>@ 2500-3000Kbits for Divx5-HD (reduced to 960x540)
>>and AVC (720p) with great results.
>>
>>This is using the open source x264 AVC codec BTW.
>>
>>Note that Xvid with postprocessing filters can be made
>>to look as good as the 3Mbit quicktime H264 frame (and
>>it also soft-decodes on a 733Mhz Intel CPU, unlike
>>AVC).
>>

>Very interesting results. Ron makes an excellent point,
>though, which would affect the results in a moving image
>situation. As to a comparison of the still images,
>careful inspection shows that the MPEG-2 image at 10
>Mb/s fairly handily beats out all the others.
>
>The 3 Mb/s H.264 comes close, but falls short. The most
>obvious places to look are the guy's head and shirt in
>the left foreground, the wall up on top of the steps,
>and the trees behind that wall.
>
>With MPEG-2 at 10 Mb/s, you can see quite a bit more
>texture in the guy's hair, in his shirt, an on the wall.
>The H.264 images at 3 Mb/s are much more homogenized in
>these areas, almost looking like image blur. Especially
>so with QuikTime, which looks shiny smooth vs textured.
>
>At 1 Mb/s, all the H.264 are degraded, obviously
>mencoder being the worst of the bunch. Even without
>the mencoder blockiness, though, I immediately noticed
>the trees behind the wall had lost all their detail.
>
>Anyway, I'd say that *clearly* H.264 is not three times
>better than MPEG-2. Previous controlled test results
>had said twice as good to 50 percent better, and I can
>believe that.
>
>Bert

You focus on the h.264 3000 and compare to the MPEG2 at 10,000.

As someone trying to do something with this I focus on the h.264 at 1000
compared to MPEG2  at 10,000 and say did someone make a mistake? That is
incredible. Think of ten program channels at the quality shown by h.264
at 1000 to MPEG2 one program channel at 10,000.

I will take the tradeoff anyday and any broadcaster in their right mind
would also. And more importantly the CUSTOMER will take the tradeoff
also. It looks to me to be a 10% loss of picture quality for a 10 time
increase in quantity.

Bob Miller