[opendtv] Re: AVC realistic bitrates?

  • From: "Manfredi, Albert E" <albert.e.manfredi@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 8 Jun 2005 14:35:28 -0400

Kon Wilms wrote:

> You're nitpicking (actually all your replies appear to be
> nitpicking)

Huh? Wasn't that the point?

If you want to compare codecs, you should aim for equal
quality images (and take the GOP issue into account),
then compare bit rates.

Being purely objective about this, one can only
conclude that AVC at lower bit rates than MPEG-2 provides
image quality inferior to MPEG-2. Big deal.

On the other hand, if I wanted to hype up AVC, I'd
say something meaningless like ain't AVC great, even
though there is no equal quality comparison. The obvious
question is how does MPEG-2 at 3 and 6 Mb/s compare with
AVC at 3 Mb/s? That might be close.

> by looking at the entire scene for inconsistencies, vs
> the foreground focus area. People don't watch video on a
> frame by frame basis. Also bear in mind that the x264
> codec is still under development.

There's not much in sharp focus, as far as I can tell.
Maybe that girl's hair in the right foreground comes
closest, and that degrades with all AVC examples.

But I agree completely about the effect in moving images.
Sure, quality matters less in moving images. Same holds
for MPEG-2. So yes, nitpicking, you don't get 3X advantage
with AVC, at least not at this time, in spite of some of
the trade journal hype.