[opendtv] Re: ARM conference switches on Web TV

  • From: Craig Birkmaier <craig@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2010 16:43:51 -0400

Okay, I'll buy gatekeeper as a better word for this, until the subscription fees kick in anyway.

Question is, who gets the subscription fees. Clearly Hulu+ will have a subscription fee. My guess is that Hulu will work with Google and Apple and split the revenues, as is the case now for most paid apps.

When the TV companies say that they need to formulate agreements with a web site, or a handful of web sites, and advertize that they have done so, the intent seems very obvious to me. I'm not doubting that software experts can find ways around this, as you point out, however the TV companies and web sites would not be wasting their time if they thought their efforts would quickly and easily be thwarted.

How do you think CDs and DVDs are sold. The congloms have deals with Walmart, Target etc.

Now, assuming many consumer-oriented TV platforms do remain more open, like the few you describe, then this whole Yahoo/Google/Apple/bla bla bla hype will lose the exclusive character they are trying to create. But even then, the ISPs themselves remain, and they can become more creative in how they control TV program access, in the future.

I'm not certain they are trying to have exclusive access to content (a walled garden). What they are trying to do is create a unique and branded user experience that attracts customers. It is likely that you will be able to access everything from any of these ecosystems. The battle will be over the hardware, software and the user experience with each platform/ecosystem.