[opendtv] Re: 3-D TV is not dead

  • From: dan.grimes@xxxxxxxx
  • To: opendtv@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 6 May 2011 08:55:16 -0700

Mark Schubin wrote:

"I happen to LOVE stereoscopic 3D when it's done right.  Today's 3DTVs
don't."

Even if everything was done perfectly for a modern home TV screen, the TV
screen would need to be much bigger to give the immersion effect promised
with the 3D experience in a theater.  Looking at even a 56" screen at 12'
is not big enough.  The images just look like they're contained in a box.
And it makes the relative subject size seem so small.  So we would need
200" screens in our living room to replicate the 3D that is seen at a movie
theater, where the screen is ALMOST big enough for the immersion
experience.

To be honest, it was the Omnimax that I most loved for the immersion
experience, and it wasn't in 3D!

Dan